Library Card Information
- Acceptable Identification for New Memberships
- Library Cards for K-12 Students
- Expired Library Cards
- What is my PIN?
- Late Charges
- Lost/Damaged Materials
- Lost Library Card
- Contact Information
Acceptable Identification for New Memberships
To get a library card you will need to bring valid and current name and address identification to your local public library. The following types of identification will be accepted:
Name and address with photo (no supporting ID required)
- Driver's License or Voluntary ID
If you don't have either of the above, you must present one piece of identification from the Name Identification list AND one piece of supporting identification from the Address Identification list. Expired documents or self-written name and address are not acceptable. Bills, leases, and legal documents must have been issued within two months of the date of registration.
|Name Identification||Address Identification|
|Birth certificate||Current bill, invoice, or bank statement|
|Citizenship card||Current government cheque|
|Current bill or invoice||Current lease|
|Current lease||Current legal document|
|Current legal document (subpoena, parole, or bail)|
|Employee ID or benefit card|
|Landed immigration certificate|
|PEI health card|
|Major credit card|
|Social insurance card|
Library Cards for K-12 Students
K-12 teachers can download and print a special membership application form for students. Send the forms home to be filled out and signed by parents/guardians, and then mail them to Public Library Service Headquarters in Morell. We’ll process the applications and send all the new library cards back to your school for you to distribute. We can also update account information for students who already have cards.
Expired Library Cards
You will be asked to renew your library card every two years to ensure we have valid and current contact information.
To renew your card:
- Present your card at your local public library.
- Show valid and current name and address identification as described above to a library staff person.
You will need your library card when borrowing materials.
- Most materials can be borrowed for 3 weeks.
- Magazines, DVDs, and high-demand books may be borrowed for 1 week.
- You can have up to 40 items on your card at any time.
- You may return your items at any one of our 26 branches.
- You are responsible for all materials borrowed with your card and for all charges resulting from its use.
You will need your library card when renewing materials. You can renew eligible items up to 3 times:
- at any library;
- by phoning any library;
- online by going to the library's online catalogue and logging into your account. Go to My Account to renew your materials. You will need your PIN when renewing materials online.
You may request items from any public library, either online, in person or by phone. When the item arrives at your local library, a notice is sent to you by mail or e-mail. You may have up to 50 holds on your card at one time and an additional 10 holds on ebooks and eaudiobooks.
Your PIN is your Personal Identification Number and is needed in order to check your library record, to renew items online or to place requests. You may change your PIN anytime either online or by contacting the library for assistance
We encourage you to return your borrowed materials when they are due. If items are late, the following charges are applied daily to each overdue item:
- Children's items are not subject to overdue charges, however borrowers will be billed for any lost or damaged materials;
- Adult items, young adult items, and all DVDs are charged $0.25 per day, per item (the maximum charge per item is $7.50).
You will not be able to borrow items or use a public computer if charges reach a total of $10.00.
The replacement cost of a lost or damaged item will be charged to your account. If a lost item is found and returned, the replacement cost is cleared from your account and only overdue charges will be applied.
Please report lost cards as soon as possible. A replacement card is $2.00 and will be issued upon payment and verification of contact information.
Please notify us of any changes to mail/email addresses or telephone numbers.